This is a very special Slovenian recipe for Walnut Meringue Cookies. It was handed down to me by my ‘Stara mama’ (grandmother), Rozalija Pušič. My Stara mama doesn’t need to refer back to her recipe book, at the remarkable age of 93, she is still able to share this one with us by memory — She is truly amazing!! In slovenian we call these cookies, ‘Puserli or Orehovi Poljubčki’. These melt in your mouth cookies are more like a candy. They have a crispy exterior and a chewy interior. They are always a huge hit! We can’t wait for you to give them a try.
- 250g ground walnuts
- 250g sugar
- 1 x egg yolk
- 1 teaspoon of lemon zest
- Combine the above ingredients into a bowl and set aside 3 x egg whites.
- Beat egg whites until stiff. Gently add and fold In the walnut mixture above to the egg whites. Do not over mix.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Using a teaspoon - Drop a spoonful of dough onto a cookie sheet that Is lined with parchment paper.
- Keep enough room between each cookie as the dough will spread during the baking process.
- Bake cookies for about 20 minutes. Check on them after 15 minutes. The cookies are done when the edges are slightly browned.
- Let the cookies cool down for about 3 minutes before placing onto a plate.
I want to see your delicious photos!
I hope this cookie recipe becomes a new favourite for you and your family. If you make something and post it on social media, please tag #sloveniankitchen or @slovenska_kuhinja so I can see it on Facebook and Instagram too!
Lots of love,
Michelle Pušič Ryall XO