This Chocolate Walnut Meringue dessert is so moist and chewy, the meringue chocolate topping alone, will have you reaching for another piece. I love that this cake can be cut into half moon shapes, squares or any other shape your heart desires. Mmmm! This is one of my Childhood favourites! I can’t wait for you to give it a try!!
150g of All Purpose flour (about 1 1/4 cups)
1 tsp baking powder
150g softened butter (about 3/4 cup)
150g icing sugar (about 1 1/2 cups)
5 egg yolks
1. Mix all the above ingredients together
2. Butter the sides and line the bottom
of a 9 x 13” baking pan with parchment paper
3. Place the dough into the baking pan cover it with Saran Wrap and firmly press down into the pan to flatten. The Saran wrap is used to help flatten the dough without it sticking to your hands. Finish by using a small rolling pin or a drinking glass to make it even. Remove the Saran Wrap.
5. Spread a thin layer of jam. I like using pure strawberry jam.
6. Beat 5 egg egg whites until fluffy slowly add 100g of sugar (about 3/4 cup)
7. Add 100g of ground walnuts (about 3/4 cup)
8. Lastly we add 100g of finely grated milk chocolate (about 3/4 cup)
* pour this mixture on-top
9. Preheat oven to 325. Bake in center oven for 40-45 minutes.
10. Remove and place on to a cookie rack to cool down for a few minutes before cutting them into squares or desired shapes *My mom cuts them into half moon shapes too.
I want to see your delicious photos!
I hope this recipe becomes a new favourite for you and your family. If you make something and post it on social media, please tag #sloveniankitchen or @slovenska_kuhinja so I can see it on Facebook and Instagram too!
Lots of love,
Michelle Pušič Ryall XO