St. Martin’s Day is the largest widespread holiday in Slovenia! In Slovenian it is called ‘Martinovanje’. The festivities usually start and end on the Sunday’s before and after November 11th - Making it a 1 to 2 week festival! The traditional St Martin’s Day feast; consists of a succulent fall-off the bone duck & the most delicious braised red cabbage. Dober tek!
Roasted Duck || Martinova Raca:
4 pound Duck
2 x apples
1 x onion, cut in half
2 TBSP’s Šlivovica or Brandy
1 tsp honey
juice from 1 lemon
1/4 cup of oil
1/4 tsp of each of these spices: marjoram, sea salt, pepper, vegeta, seasoning salt
1. Add all of the ingredients for the marinade into a cup. Brush the marinade all over the duck including the inside of the cavity. Cover. Let it sit to marinade for 2 hours on the counter
2. After 2 hours - Place the 2 apples into the cavity
3. Place a wire rack into a roasting pan. Place the duck on the rack. Add the two halves of the onion. Than add just enough water to cover the base of the roasting pan
4. Place in a 400 degree oven for 30 minutes
5. After 30 minutes lower the temperature to 350 - baste the duck with its own juices
6. Continue to bake the duck for 1 1/2 hours, turning it over and basting it every 30 minutes.
7. The last 15 minutes add the šlivovica (or brandy) & the honey - bake for another 15 minutes
8. Remove from the oven and let it sit on the counter for 15 minutes before you slice it up!
Braised Red Cabbage || Rdeče Zelje:
- 500g (or 1 pound & 2 oz) Red Cabbage, sliced thinly
- 100 ml dry red wine
- 1/4 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 Apple, grated
- 2 TBSP honey (or 50g sugar)
1. Place sliced cabbage into a bowl, sprinkle with cumin, salt and wine. Leave to rest for 30 minutes on the counter
2. Heat the oil and sauté the diced onions and sugar (* if you’re using honey skip this step).
3. Add the cabbage, mix and cover. Cook on low for 30 minutes
4. Add the grated apples and cook for another 30 minutes on low
5. During the last few minutes, if you did not use sugar add the honey
If you enjoyed this video for Roasted Duck & Braised RTed Cabbage please subscribe to my Youtube Channel (P.S. Click the BELL icon so you can be the first to know when I post a new video). THANK YOU so much for subscribing!
If you make this recipe, I’d love to see pics of your creations on Instagram & Facebook!
Hashtag them #sloveniankitchen or #slovenska_kuhinja