This is an easy ‘old fashioned’ Slovenian recipe for apple fritters (Polhane jaboljke) just like Mama & Stara Mama used to make. The most delicious fall treat!
▢ 1 ½ cups flour
▢ 3 Tbsp’s sugar
▢ ½ tsp cinnamon
▢ 1 tsp baking powder
▢ ⅛ tsp salt
▢ 1 cup milk
▢ 1 egg
▢ 1 Tbsp oil
▢ 1 Tbsp maple syrup (optional)
▢ 4 medium apples peeled, cored and sliced into 1/4” to 1/2” inch thick rings
* I like using Royal Gala, Honey Crisp or Fuji apples
* Allow the batter to rest on the counter for 20-30 minutes
𝔽𝕠𝕣 𝕥𝕙𝕖 ℂ𝕚𝕟𝕟𝕒𝕞𝕠𝕟 𝕊𝕦𝕘𝕒𝕣:
▢ ½ cup sugar
▢ 1 Tbsp cinnamon
*mix together in a separate bowl until well combined. Set aside.
1. Heat oil in a deep pot, cast iron skillet or fryer. Oil should be maintained at 350 degrees. *I highly recommend using a kitchen thermometer.
2. In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, cinnamon, baking powder and salt
*combine all the dry ingredients first - whisking together well because you want to evenly distribute the baking powder.
3. Then add in all the wet ingredients: milk, egg and 1 tablespoon oil (add the maple syrup at this time too - optional). Whisk until you get a thick and smooth batter.
4. Time to Check the oil. Make sure it is at 350 degrees before you start frying.
5. To fry the apples I like using metal tongues. I begin by coating apple rings with batter and gently dropping them into the hot oil. Fry for about 1-2 minutes on each side until golden and puffy.
6. Remove from the oil and drain on a plate that is lined with paper towels, for about a minute
7. Quickly, toss it in the cinnamon sugar mixture while still warm and set aside on a plate lined with paper towel or cooling rack. Dober Tek!
* THANK YOU so much for following along, making my recipes and sharing them with the people you love. If you make this recipe, or ANY of my recipes and love them, please connect with me. Tag me #sloveniankitchen or #slovenska_kuhinja on Facebook, Instagram or Pinterest! I love hearing from you!
Made with Love,
❤️ Michelle XO