This traditional soup features Authentic flavours of smoked ham, vegetables and 𝘽𝙖𝙧𝙡𝙚𝙮 — In Slovenian, we call this delicious hearty soup ‘𝚁𝚒č𝚎𝚝’. (Ree- chet)
It’s right around Spring time, EVERY year, that I crave this soup! After boiling a piece of smoked ham for my Easter basket to be blessed — I always reserve the water as it becomes the most important feature of this delicious traditional soup. This Smoked Ham and Barley Soup also makes for a great spring time detox!
Watch my step-by-step video tutorial here: https://youtu.be/xO8P7Ao82LA
⬇️ Ingredients ⬇️
‣ 2 cups of barley (soaked for 2 hours, rinsed then boiled) set aside
‣ 3-4 lb piece of smoked ham (or other smoked meat of choice )
‣ 2 small cooking onions, diced
‣ 3 cloves of garlic, minced
‣ 1 Leek
‣ 2 x carrots, chopped
‣ 2 x celery sticks
‣ Small Handful of flat leaf parsley
‣ 2 Yukon gold potatoes, cubed
‣ 2 bay leaves
‣ salt & pepper to taste
‣ Kideny beans (optional)
1. Soak barley for 2 hours or over night, rinse then boil for 30 minutes and set it aside.
2. Boil smoked ham for 45 minutes in a large pot filled with 14 cups of cold water.
3. After 45 minutes remove smoked meat from water and set it aside. Reserve this water — it will be the ‘magical’ flavour of love for your soup!
4. In another large pot, add enough oil/butter to sauté onions, carrots, celery
5. At the last minute or so add in the garlic, just until fragrant.
6. Time to add in the reserved water. If you’re making a large batch of soup you can add more water to the pot at this time.
7. Cut up some of the Cooked ham, i cut up about 1 to 1 + 1/2 pounds only, and add it to the soup along with the; cubed potatoes, bay leaves, salt, papper & your favourite spices.
8. Bring soup to a boil. If you are adding pinto beans you would do it at this time. Then set temperature to low and simmer for another 15-30 minutes.
9. Last, we add “some” of the cooked barley to the soup. *Barley expands so I don’t like to put all of it in at once, because I personally feel, it makes the soup too thick. I only add in 1-2 cups of the cooked barley. Dober Tek ♡ Enjoy
** If you try my recipes and love them - Please connect with me. Tag me on Facebook, Instagram & Pinterest! I love hearing from you!!
Made with Love,
❤️ Michelle XO