Growing up, we loved when my Mom made this dish. There was nothing like coming home to the aroma of these meat 'patties' baking in the oven. We knew we were in for a hearty and delicious meal!
It’s an easy-to-make classic and just one of those hearty comforting family meals. Mmmmm! Juicy flavourful meat patties, that are baked in the oven and then smothered in a savoury mushroom gravy!
Watch step by step directions -> https://youtu.be/vaSUlFhjmU0
1 & 1/2 pounds ground meat (any combination; I like using beef, veal & pork)
2 cups Stale bread - cut up Into cubes
1/2 cup onions
2 garlic cloves
1/4 cup chopped leeks
1/4 cup chopped celery
1/4 cup diced green peppers
1 Tbsp Italian parsley
1/3 cup milk
1/2 chicken bouillon cube
1 Tbsp sour cream
1/2 tsp seasoning salt
1 tsp salt
1 tsp pepper
1 tsp garlic powder
1/4 tsp ground sage
1/4 tsp ground thyme
1. In a bowl add bread cubes and eggs. Mix until well combined. Set aside
2. Add 2 Tbsp’s of olive oil to a frying pan. Add onions, garlic, leeks, celery, green peppers & parsley. Mix and keep cooking until a nice light golden brown colour. Add 1/3 cup milk, chicken bouillon cube and add spices.
3. Add in 1 Tbsp sour cream. Set aside
4. Large bowl combine ground meat, egg mixture and fried vegetable mixture
5. Mix meat until well combined.
6. Line a 9 x 13” pan with parchment paper.
7. Form meat patties and place on the pan
8. Preheat oven to 350 degrees
9. Bake for 35-45 minutes. Turning over halfway through. Then brush the top with olive oil. Bake Until internal temperature is 165 degrees
10. Remove from oven and let rest for 10 minutes
* Serve over mashed potatoes, rice or egg noodles and a side of vegetables — We love it with asparagus!!
** Top with your favourite mushroom sauce.
Here is a delicious Mushroom Gravy Recipe
1 tbsp olive oil
3 tbsp butter , unsalted
1 1/2 tsp garlic , finely minced
14oz mushrooms , sliced
1/4 tsp salt
1/8 tsp black pepper
• Fry above Ingredients together. Remove to a plate
2 tbsp butter , unsalted
4 tbsp flour , all-purpose
2 cups beef broth
1/4 tsp pepper
Salt and pepper to taste
• Lower heat to medium. In the same skillet, melt the butter.
• Add flour and stir continuously for 1 1/2 minutes so It doesn't burn.
• While stirring, slowly pour in the beef stock. This should avoid lumps in the gravy. If there are lumps, just whisk vigorously to dissolve them.
• Cook for 3 to 4 minutes, until it thickens.
• Stir in fried mushrooms. Tatse and add more Salt or pepper if required.
I want to see your delicious photos!
I hope this recipe becomes a new favourite for you and your family. If you make something and post it on social media, please tag #sloveniankitchen or @slovenska_kuhinja so I can see it on Facebook and Instagram too!
Lots of love,
Michelle Pušič Ryall XO