Many other European countries have similar Honey Spice Cookies and they are known as Pernik in the Czech and Slovak republics, Pierniczki in Poland, Medenki in Bulgaria, Piparkakut in Finland, Pffernneuse and Lebkuchen in Germany.
Medenjaki are a traditional Slovenian cookie; also known as Honey Spice Cookies. These delicious cookies come in many different shapes, however the heart-shaped ones are typically the most common, and are definitely my favourite. They are made around the holidays and given as gifts. Some of them are real pieces of art.
FOLLOW MY STEP BY STEP VIDEO INSTRUCTIONS HERE: https://youtu.be/bwsj67q6EBQ?si=XBbyiJhficyeyzeg
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup butter
2 tsp’s baking soda
1 tsp lemon zest
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp ginger
1/2 tsp ground cloves
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1. Beat eggs. Gradually add in sugar.
2. Add butter mix until you have a pale yellow mixture. Add honey mix until well combined. Add baking soda
3. Gradually add flour
4. Finally add spices and lemon zest
5. Mix until you get a nice soft dough
6. Chill dough for at least 1 hour or overnight
7. Sprinkle flour and Roll out dough between to pieces of clear plastic wrap.
8. Place cookie cutouts on a baking sheet lined with parchment/baking paper. Place in a 350 degree oven and bake for 7 minutes.
* THANK YOU so much for following along, making my recipes and sharing them with the people you love. If you make this recipe, or ANY of my recipes and love them, please connect with me. Tag me #sloveniankitchen or #slovenska_kuhinja on Facebook, Instagram or Pinterest! I love hearing from you!
Made with Love,
❤️ Michelle XO