Slovenian Flatbread | Salted Cake | Belokranjska Pogača
This authentic Slovenian flatbread is called ‘Belokranjska Pogača’. It is also known as salted cake, flatbread or focaccia bread. This is a traditional bread served in Bela Krajina (White Carniola), Slovenia.
Traditionally, this authentic Slovenian flatbread is prepared for religious holidays and for the Feast of St. Martin! It is a round dough, similar to Italian focaccia bread. It is topped with coarse salt and caraway seeds.
The lovely thing about this bread is it’s never cut with a knife, but rather shared in a beautiful traditional way by breaking off pieces. This recipe holds a very special place in my heart because my Dad was born in Bela Krajina. This cherished recipe was handed down to me from my Staramama! I can’t wait for you to try it and enjoy it with your family and loved ones!
Watch how I make this traditional Slovenian flatbread: https://youtu.be/JaK3Xb5Pj5c
‣ 100ml warm milk
‣ ½ tsp sugar
‣ 2 ¼ tsp’s yeast
1. Pour warm milk into a bowl, add the sugar and yeast. Mix well. Set aside to allow to rise and activate about 10 minutes.
‣ 3 cups of SIFTED flour (all purpose)
‣ 1 ½ tsp salt
‣ 200ml lukewarm water
2. Sift 3 cups of flour into a large bowl. Make a well in the center. Sprinkle Salt around the flour – not in the hole. Pour the rising yeast in the well. Add lukewarm water, then mix all the ingredients with your fingertips, folding outside of flour/salt into the center well. Mix until rough ball forms. Soak your counter with water also wet hands (warm water) continue mixing on your soaked counter until dough forms a nice soft ball. About 10 minutes. *If using a Stand-up mixer : With the hook attachment mix dough with timer for about 8 minutes on lowest setting. Form the dough with hands into a “domed” dough shape. Place in a bowl that has been rubbed with olive oil. Cover the bowl completely with clear plastic wrap and let rise in a warm area for no longer than 30 minutes or until its volume is increased by one size.
• PREHEAT OVEN TO 350 DEGREES
‣ 1 x egg ‣ ½ tsp cumin seeds/ dried rosemary
‣ Sea salt
3. Grease a large baking pan with oil or butter (I line it with parchment paper)
4. After 30 minutes, quickly knead the dough for (30 seconds), then flatten keeping the center slightly higher than at the edge. I flatten my dough to make a 30cm disc.
5. Using a long sharp knife cut inclined lines at 4cm apart
6. Whisk an egg with half a shot glass of milk and a couple of drops of olive oil…..whisk together well….using a brush, brush the egg mixture over the pogaca. Sprinkle with sea salt & caraway seeda (or cumin seeds or dried rosemary…we love it with dried rosemary)
7. Place in center over at 350 degrees for 15 minutes. Increase the heat of the oven after 15 minutes to 425 degrees and bake for another 6-8 minutes longer.
8. Remove from oven when you see it is a nice golden colour.
Tip *You will know when its cooked when you tap the bottom of the pogača with your fist, if it sounds hollow, its baked!
**The pogača should be light golden brown in colour, 3-4 cm high in the middle (when baked because it will rise more in the oven), then 1-2cm high at the edge ***You can omit the milk for the egg wash or it can be replaced with water
** If you try my recipes and love them - Please connect with me. Tag me on Facebook, Instagram & Pinterest! I love hearing from you!!
Made with Love,
❤️ Michelle XO