Cod is such a lovely mild tasting fish — Cooking it in olive oil & butter, gives it a delicious flaky texture and the spices used to season it add just enough heat (but not too much) to blacken the crust. You will have dinner on the table in just 20 minutes!
• 4 x 6oz cod fillets
• Olive oil (1 tsp rubbed on each side + about 2 Tbsp’s for the pan)
• 1 Tbsp butter
• Blackening seasoning mix *see my recipe below - or store bought
Seasoning mix recipe:
• 1 Tbsp garlic powder
• 1 Tbsp paprika
• 1/2 tsp marjoram
• 1/2 tsp basil
• 1/2 tsp thyme
• 1/2 tsp oregano
• 1 tsp pepper
• 1 tsp sea salt
• 1/4-1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
1. In a small bowl add in all the above seasoning mix spices to make the blackening spice mix. Set aside.
2. Pat down the cod fillets with a paper towel until they're completely dry. Brush each side with olive oil.
3. Coat both sides of the cod fillets with the blackening spice mix.
4. Add about 2 tablespoons of oil to a cast iron or heavy bottom pan, over medium heat.
5. When the oil is ready add the cod to the pan. Cook around 4-5 minutes.
6. Flip the cod and ** Add 1 Tbsp of butter to the pan for these last 2-3 minutes of cooking. ( Butter burns so it is best to add it in later in the cooking process)
Serve with a lemon wedge, a side of potatoes, or rice, asparagus and green salad. Dober tek!
I want to see your delicious photos!
I hope this Slovenian Recipe for Blackened Cod becomes a new favourite for you and your family. If you make something and post it on social media, please tag #sloveniankitchen or @slovenska_kuhinja so I can see it on Facebook and Instagram too!
Lots of love,
Michelle Pušič Ryall XO