Chicken and Mushroom Risotto is one of those feel good meals. No matter where you live in the world there's a chicken and rice dish that brings us comfort! In Slovenian, this dish is called "Rižota". This recipe is my Mom's version and because of that it is so dear to my heart. The flavours always take me back to my childhood, and it's a meal that I often times request when visiting my parents.
Step-by-Step video instructions -> https://youtu.be/saOnm4ZrUow
3 1/2 - 4 lb chicken
1 onion, diced
2 tsp's paprika
1/4 tsp seasoning salt
salt & pepper
1 celery stick (broken into larger pieces or chopped up whatever your preference)
1 carrot, sliced
1 cup chicken broth
1. Wash chicken. Cut up chicken into pieces.
2. Fry onion in oil in a frying pan. Once the onions are translucent add the chicken pieces. Fry for a few minutes longer
3. Add paprika, seasoning salt, salt and pepper
4. Add the vegetables: celery, carrots
5. Pour in 1 cup of chicken broth
(optional) *you can also add a chicken cube
6. Give it all a good mix. Cover. Cook for 45 minutes to 1 hour on low temperature. Stirring often.
*While the chicken is cooking prepare the rice. We prefer to use 'Italian-Style' short grain rice! It offers the dish a delicious creamy texture. However, feel free to use whatever rice you prefer.
• 3 1/2 cups short grain (Italian-style is my favourite)
• 7 cups water
Once the rice is fully cooked add 1 tablespoon of butter, mix in well and set the rice aside.
• 1/2 cup onions, diced
• 2 1/2 cups mushrooms, sliced
• 3 cloves garlic, minced
• salt & pepper
1. Fry onions in oil
2. Once the onions are translucent add the mushrooms, garlic, salt and pepper
3. Continue mixing and frying for about 4 minutes
4. Add the rice to the mushroom mixture. Mix until well combined.
5. Once the chicken is fully cooked, add the chicken to the rice & mushroom mixture. Serve. DOBER TEK!!
I want to see your delicious photos!
I hope this recipe becomes a new favourite for you and your family. If you make something and post it on social media, please tag #sloveniankitchen or @slovenska_kuhinja so I can see it on Facebook and Instagram too!
Lots of love,
Michelle Pušič Ryall XO