This traditional Slovenian dish was one of my most favourite childhood meals. I’m an adult now, and I’m pretty sure it is still at the top of my favourite list! These dumplings are made up of a pillowy soft potato dough, that is wrapped around a whole delicious sweet plum. They are then fried in a buttery bread crumb mixture! Yum!!
Watch my Mama’s step by step video instructions here ⬇️⬇️⬇️ (video) Slovenian Plum Dumplings
4 x medium potatoes
1 Tablespoon butter
3 cups all purpose flour
1 x egg
12 x plums or plum jam
sugar or sugar cubes
1/4 cup bread crumbs
1/4 cup of unsalted butter, for frying dumplings
• Add 4 medium potatoes to a pot of boiling water that has been salted with 1 tsp salt
• Once the potatoes are cooked, drain and rinse under cold water and let them sit for a few minutes before handling
• Potatoes need to still be a little warm before you begin peeling the skin off. Once they are all peeled, set them aside.
• Begin by putting them through a ricer. If you don’t have a ricer you can use a masher, however, using a ricer does make a difference. It actually causes less agitation to the potatoes so they won’t be as overworked.
• Add 1 Tablespoon of room temperature butter to potatoes and mix gently
• Add 1/2 tsp salt + 3 cups of All Purpose unbleached Flour + 1 Egg
• Mix all together in a bowl with a spatula before you begin to mix gently with hands
• Mix with your hands until you get a nice dough
*if the dough seems hard add sour cream and if its too soft add some flour — only add 1 Tablespoon at a time
• Remove dough from bowl and sprinkle surface with a little flour, begin rolling the dough into a log
(Our dough log is about 22” in length, 2- 2 1/2” thick in width)
• Slice rounds so they are about 1” wide
• Add a little flour to palm of hand & Flatten into round disc shapes.
• Pit the plums and add 1/4 tsp sugar or a sugar cube in the middle of the pitted plum *optional - you can also sprinkle in some Vanilla sugar
• Place the plum in the middle of the flattened dough, pinch the four corners closed and then twist to seal. Then last, roll them into a round ball...continue making until done.
Plum dumplings fried in breadcrumbs:
• Bring water to boil and add the plum dumplings first for 5 minutes. If you are also making gnocchi you will add the gnocchi to boiling water at this time. Boil all together for the last 5-10 minutes with the plum dumplings *you will know when they’re done when they all float to the top
• Add 1/4 cup of unsalted butter to a frying pan, once melted add 1/4 cup of breadcrumbs to melted butter and fry plum dumplings until a nice golden brown colour.
Gnocchi with sour cream sauce:
• Boil the gnocchi until they float to top of the water
• Add 2 tsp’s oil (we use sunflower oil) and 1 Tbsp of sour cream to a frying pan. Heat up on low until well combined
• Add boiled and cooked gnocchi
* THANK YOU so much for following along, making my recipes and sharing them with the people you love. If you make this recipe, or ANY of my recipes and love them, please connect with me. Tag me #sloveniankitchen or #slovenska_kuhinja on Facebook, Instagram or Pinterest! I love hearing from you!
Made with Love,
❤️ Michelle XO