This Chocolate Walnut Meringue dessert is so moist and chewy, the meringue chocolate topping alone, will have you reaching for another piece. I love that this cake can be cut into half moon shapes, squares or any other shape your heart desires. Mmmm! This is one of my Childhood favourites! I can’t wait for you to give it a try!!
1. Mix the flour, baking powder, softened butter, icing sugar, 5 egg yolks all together. Mix until it is well combined.
2. Butter the sides and line the bottom
of a 9 x 13” baking pan with parchment paper
3. Place the dough into the baking pan cover it with Saran Wrap and firmly press down into the pan to flatten. The Saran wrap is used to help flatten the dough without it sticking to your hands. Finish by using a small rolling pin or a drinking glass to make it all nice and even. Remove the Saran Wrap.
5. Spread a thin layer of jam. I like using pure strawberry jam with strawberry pieces in it. This adds such a delicious texture to this dessert. Set aside.
6. Beat 5 egg whites until fluffy slowly add 100g of sugar (about 3/4 cup)
7. Next add 100g of ground walnuts (about 3/4 cup)
8. Last, we add 100g of finely grated milk chocolate (about 3/4 cup)
* pour this meringue mixture over top of the strawberry filing
9. Preheat oven to 325. Bake in center oven for 40-45 minutes.
10. Remove and allow to cool down for a few minutes before cutting them into desired shapes *To cut them into half moon shapes. I use a round cookie cutter and just cut them into moon shapes. I often just cut them into squares though. Enjoy
I hope this Chocolate Walnut Meringue Cake recipe becomes a new favourite for you and your family. If you make something and post it on social media, please tag #sloveniankitchen or @slovenska_kuhinja so I can see it on Facebook and Instagram too!
Lots of love,
Michelle Pušič Ryall XO