FRESH HOMEMADE STRAWBERRY CAKE (Slovenian Recipe)
The essence of simplicity, like so many Slovenian baking recipes this is an impressively quick & easy recipe for the most delicious homemade strawberry cake. It will certainly be a crowd-pleaser at your next picnic and get together! It would make a perfect compliment on any dessert table or potluck. You will literally watch it disappear so fast, right before your eyes!
*This recipe is a spin off from my Stara Mama's Popular Apple Cake Recipe (tap ⬆️ to watch Apple Cake video here)
- 5 whole eggs (I use large eggs)
- 1 cup sugar (plus an additional 1/4 cup of sugar to sprinkle over the strawberry mixture)
- 1 cup oil (vegetable oil)
- 2 cups of flour (add more flour if you feel the batter is too runny)
- 1 tsp Vanilla (or 1 pkg Dr Oetker Vanilla sugar)
- 2 tsp’s baking powder (or 1 pkg Dr Oetker baking powder)
- lemon zest from 1/2 of a lemon
- 1 3/4 cups chopped or sliced strawberries
- 1/4 cup of sugar
1. Mix above ingredients altogether until no lumps and the batter is nice and smooth. (if the batter is too thick add some water a tablespoon at a time, or more flour if the batter is too runny)
2. Grease a 9 x 13 non stick pan and then line it with parchment paper.
3. Pour half of the batter in the pan.
4. In a small bowl add chopped or sliced strawberries. Sprinkle in 1/4 cup of sugar and lemon zest. Mix together.
5. Add strawberry slices to first layer of batter then top with the rest of the remaining batter.
6. Bake in a 350 degree oven 35-40 minutes
7. Dust with icing sugar! Happy Baking!!
** If you try my recipes and love them - Please connect with me. Tag me on Facebook, Instagram & Pinterest! I love hearing from you!!
Made with Love,
❤️ Michelle XO
* Helpful Tip: If you plan on using frozen berries, because of all the extra water that frozen berries contain, they will be heavy and they will likely sink to the bottom while baking. So to prevent this from happening, as soon as you're ready to add your berries on top of the batter, take them out of the freezer and coat them in some flour before adding them on top.