Let's roll out a different type of strudel, a savoury one!
Most people when they think of 'strudel', they picture sweet apple strudel. Well, I'm about to blow your mind and bring your tastebuds to a whole new level with my Mama's delicious ‘Savoury Cabbage Strudel’ recipe; using store bought flaky phyllo dough sheets, fresh cabbage, bacon & sausage! We often serve it up as a side dish, an appetizer, or a delicious snack!
I believe that cabbage is one of the best tasting vegetables. I loved eating it as a child, and now as an adult I think I love it even more! Now that Fall is in full swing, this ‘Savoury Cabbage Strudel’ is just perfect for the season! Let’s get started!
Watch my easy step by step video tutorial on how to make the Savoury Cabbage Strudel here: https://youtu.be/K8CseQfMH5A
- 1/2 head of fresh cabbage (about 10 cups, diced)
- 2 x cooking onions, chopped
- 3 x cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 cup of bacon, chopped
- 1/2 pound of sausage, casing removed or any minced meat
- 4-6 Tbsp’s oil
- 1/4 cup of olive oil or butter, melted and slightly heated
- Salt & pepper
- Box of phyllo dough pastry sheets
- A clean, damp kitchen cloth
* Makes about 5 rolled Cabbage Strudels
- In a large pot (one that is big enough to hold 10 cups of diced cabbage), heat up 4-6 Tbsp’s of oil.
- Once the oil is warm, add in the diced onions. Fry until the onions are translucent, then add in the garlic. Fry for about 30 seconds or until the garlic is fragrant.
- Add in the sausage that has been removed from the casing, as well as the chopped bacon. Fry until the meat is cooked and the onions are a nice golden colour.
- Next we will add in the ten cups of diced cabbage. At this time we will add in some salt and pepper to taste. Bring down the temperature to a low setting, and allow the cabbage to cook down for about 30 minutes, or until the cabbage is nice and soft.
- Now let's get our strudel rolling station ready. Take one sheet and cover up the other sheets that are not being used, for the moment, with your damp kitchen cloth, because we don’t want the sheets drying out. We are going to brush on some warm butter/oil. Place a second phyllo dough sheet over top and again brush on some butter/oil.
- Time to add the cabbage filling. Drop by the spoonfuls over top of the second buttered phyllo dough sheet. We want to add enough filling but not overloading it too much, just to ensure that it doesn’t explode during the baking process or get too runny. We want to achieve that nice crispy flaky outer crust.
- Place the rolled strudels on to a baking sheet that have been lined with parchment paper. Bake in a 350 degree oven for about 35-45 minutes or until the dough is a nice crispy golden colour. Dober Tek! Enjoy!
*IF FREEZING*: Brush the tops of the rolled cabbage doughs with oil/butter. Wrap in clear plastic wrap until you are ready to bake them.
*BAKING FROM FROZEN*: Bake in a 350 degree oven for 35-45 minutes.
* THANK YOU so much for following along, making my recipes and sharing them with the people you love. If you make this recipe, or ANY of my recipes and love them, please connect with me. Tag me #sloveniankitchen or #slovenska_kuhinja on Facebook, Instagram or Pinterest! I love hearing from you!
Made with Love,
❤️ Michelle XO