P I R H I (peer-hee) Traditional Naturally Coloured Slovenian Easter Eggs.
Naturally coloured Easter eggs are a big part of the Easter celebrations in Slovenia. In Slovenian we call them: Velikonočna Jajca, Pirhi and Pisanice! It all depends on which region you come from. Each region has there own special way of decorating them.
I can’t think of a more beautiful natural egg dye than that of using red onion skins and red beets — it creates a rich & healthy egg colour! The fun part is decorating the eggs with flower petals and herbs. Each Easter egg ends up being its own unique masterpiece.
‣ 3 cups packed onion skins from about 6 medium sized onions
‣ 1 medium red beet
‣ 8 cups of water
‣ 2 teaspoons white vinegar
‣ 2 nylon stockings
‣ 12 eggs
‣ flower petals, ferns, grass, leaves, parsley, dill, lavender, rosemary etc....
Very important step ***Soak onion skins and sliced beet in water overnight *** next day begin process:
1. Cut the stocking into squares.
2. Place a couple of leaves or flowers on each egg with a drop of water, then wrap it gently in the stocking and tie each end.
3. Add the the onion skins, beets and vinegar to a big pot and cover with 8 cups of water. Bring to a boil and simmer for about 10 minutes.
4. Add the eggs to the mixture and boil for 10 minutes. Allow to cool completely. Then place
the pot with the eggs in the refrigerator. We want them to soak overnight for a nice rich deep colour.
5. The next day cut the stockings and remove the herbs. Pat the eggs dry with a paper towel, carefully. For extra shine you may rub them with a little vegetable oil or grape seed oil.
** If you try this recipe and love it - Please tag me on Facebook, Instagram & Pinterest! I would love to see your beautifully coloured egg designs!!
Made with Love,
❤️ Michelle XO