Traditional 𝐒𝐥𝐨𝐯𝐞𝐧𝐢𝐚𝐧 ‘ Š𝐧𝐢𝐜𝐞𝐥 ’ 𝐑𝐞𝐜𝐢𝐩𝐞:
Are you ready to make the juiciest CHICKEN CUTLETS Ever?! Let's get started...
Chicken schnitzel is a staple in every Slovenian house! This dish is my Mama's specialty. None of our family gatherings EVER go without a platter of these perfectly cooked golden fillets of chicken! I like to serve them along side my cheesy potato dish My guys just can't get enough. This dinner is certainly on a regular rotation in our house.
• 4 - 5 chicken breasts, sliced thin, pounded to 1⁄4-inch cutlets
• 2 tsp's freshly squeezed lemon juice
• 3 large eggs
• 2 Tbsp's oil
• 2 Tbsp's Mineral water (*I use Radenska)
• 2 cups (homemade) breadcrumbs or from a Bakery/Deli/grocery store that make their own. I use plain breadcrumbs without any added ingredients
• 1 1/2- 2 cups all-purpose flour
• Lemon zest
• Seasoning salt, salt & pepper, to taste
• Canola oil or Sunflower oil for frying
1. Cut the chicken pieces into thin cutlets. Pound the meat using a meat tenderizer to about 1/4” thick.
2. Drizzle the chicken with freshly squeezed lemon juice + grated lemon zest and let stand for 30 minutes.
3. After 30 minutes - season cutlets with sea salt
4. Shake the flour into a pie dish
5. In a shallow bowl beat in the 3 eggs and then add: 2 tsp’s lemon juice, seasoning salt, pepper, 2 Tbsp canola oil & 2 Tbsp's mineral water
6. Spread the breadcrumbs into a second pie dish.
7. Dredge the cutlets in the flour to lightly coat, then dip them into the egg batter. Allow the excess egg to run off before completely coating each cutlet with breadcrumbs
8. You may need to press gently so the crumbs adhere after the cutlet is placed in the breadcrumbs.
9. In a large skillet, heat 1 inch of canola or sunflower oil over medium-high heat until it reaches around 325 to 350°F. *Make sure that the oil stays at this temperature. The last thing you want is to overcook the outside and the inside still be raw.
10. Carefully place the breaded cutlets into the hot oil. Cook until golden brown, about 1 1/2 - 2 minutes on each side.
11. Once they're done cooking place the fried cutlets onto a plate or tray that is lined with paper towels or bread slices to absorb any of the access oil
12. Transfer the cooked cutlets to a platter. Serve with lemon wedges.
** If you try my recipes and love them - Please connect with me. Tag me #sloveniankitchen #slovenska_kuhinja on Facebook, Instagram & Pinterest! I love hearing from you!!
Made with Love,
❤️ Michelle XO