In Slovenian, mulled wine is known as Vinski čaj or Kuhano vino! If you have never had mulled wine before you are in for a real treat. I developed this recipe when entertaining years ago and it has now become a staple for all of the holiday parties that we host. My simple ‘Mulled wine recipe’ is so deliciously cozy, and it is bound to get you and your guests into the festive spirit — PLUS it will fill your home with holiday fragrance too! Na zdravje!
- 12 cups of water
- 6 x tea bags (3 of each - a mixed fruit tea & rosehip tea — 3 Crowns brand)
- Bottle of red wine (Merlot)
- 8 x whole cloves
- 3 x cinnamon sticks
- 1/3 cup of sugar
- 1 - 2 x Lemons (depending on size), sliced or halved
- orange slices for garnish
- Start by boiling 12 cups of water in a large pot.
- In a second smaller pot, add the wine and bring it to a simmer. We don’t want to boil it, we just want to hear it up. Now turn off the stove and set heated wine aside. (* you can use any inexpensive wine — my favourite is using a Merlot, Malbec or Cabernet Sauvignon)
- Once the water starts to boil, add the tea bags, whole cloves, cinnamon sticks, sugar and lemon slices.
- Allow this tea mixture to simmer on low for about 5-10 minutes. Then we add in the warm wine. Allow to simmer on low for about 5 minutes together.
- Last, strain to remove the spices, tea bags and sliced lemons.
- Pour into a cup and enjoy!
I want to see your delicious photos!
I hope this recipe becomes a new favourite for you and your family. If you make something and post it on social media, please tag #sloveniankitchen or @slovenska_kuhinja so I can see it on Facebook and Instagram too!
Lots of love,
Michelle Pušič Ryall XO