‘Pletenica’— This is a beautiful 6-Braid Slovenian sweet bread. It would make a perfect addition on your holiday table. Dober tek!
1 3/4 cups water
1 1/2 packages active dry yeast (about 3 1/2 tsp’s)
1/2 cup sugar plus 1 Tbsp
1/2 cup vegetable or canola oil
5 large eggs
1 tablespoon salt
8 to 8 1/2 cups AP Robin Hood flour
*optional: Poppy or sesame seeds for sprinkling on top
1. In a large bowl, dissolve yeast and 1 Tbsp sugar in 1 3/4 cups lukewarm water
2. Whisk oil in yeast and beat in 4 eggs one at a time. Slowly add in remaining sugar and salt. Gradually add in 8 cups of flour, add in more about 1 Tbsp at a time. When dough holds together and comes off the bowl it’s is ready for kneading. (You can use a mixer with a dough hook both both mixing and kneading.
3. Turn dough into a floured surface and knead until dough is smooth. Crease a large bowl with oil, return dough to bowl. Cover and let rise in a warm place for 1 hour until doubled in size. I like to place a the oven with the light on. After one hour, punch down dough, cover and let rise for another 30 minutes
4. Divide and braid the dough using a 6 braid pattern. (YouTube has step by step tutorials - Amy Kanarek's bread braiding demo is really easy to follow)
5. Let rise for one hour. Then brush loaves with egg wash.
6. Bake in a 375F oven for 35-40 minutes until nice and golden. Cool loaves on a rack.
* THANK YOU so much for following along, making my recipes and sharing them with the people you love. If you make this recipe, or ANY of my recipes and love them, please connect with me. Tag me #sloveniankitchen or #slovenska_kuhinja on Facebook, Instagram or Pinterest! I love hearing from you!
Made with Love,
❤️ Michelle XO